If you can find a solenoid it will cost almost as much as a complete starter.
That's just the way the market is.

This solenoid works by pulling in the armature to engage the bendix drive on
the starter. When the armature pulls in, a large copper disc on the armature
shorts the two large terminals on the solenoid together, completing the circuit
between the battery and starter motor.

The disc could be damaged, the coil could be open, there are a myriad of
potential issues.

Long story short, as you have already surmised, it's time for a new starter.

Dan

Sent from my iPad