Overlap the sistering section 12" to 14" or so with/onto the old stud and nail or screw the two together from both sides with nails or screws long enough to go through at least one and three quarters of the total thickness of the overlapped 2 x 4's. Just make sure the joint can't collapse (bend/buckle) in any direction

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: <dsereta...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 10:14 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Building question

I have a "cottage". Really it's a tiny thing that resembles a large shack! I've been doing some sill repairs but some of the studs sitting on the rotted sill have rotted as well. I was thinking about cutting out the rotted bottom section, splicing in a new piece of stud and then sistering it all up with another 2x4. Does the sistering stud have to reach all the way up to the top plate? I can't realistically do this because it extends through the ceiling into the second floor. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone