Fmiser wrote:

I would use glue (carpenters wood glue or construction adhesive)
and decking screws and try to get 2ft onto good wood. Most of
what a stud is doing is carrying a compression load, so if you
have new wood from the bottom sill to the good part of the old
stud, really all you need to prevent buckling.

I'm thinking it would be best if you could cut the patch to exact length and butt it up against the new bottom of the original stud. (and splint across the butt joint with another piece of stud) That way the load would transmit straight down through the joint.

Mitch.