In short, she was appalled at the depth and breadth of the scams, but could not address much other than the cases she saw. She was not a sympathetic judge, or willing to bend to expediency.

My wife remarked on this topic the other night. She said she gets lots of (cancer) patients whose first thing in her exam/consult is to whip out the disability papers to get her to sign. She refuses as most folks at the point she sees them are still able to work (or not, whatever) as the illness is not at the point where they are "disabled." And by the time they get to that point, they don't usually have the time to deal with the process so it becomes rather moot.

--R

On 4/10/13 1:32 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
I heard the same story. You're leaving out the part where many of the people
have literally no other job skills and even if they did there are no jobs for
them anywhere nearby...

Still, its crazy that the government doesn't at all challenge the cases. Apparently one of the guys
from "Axe Men" got caught a couple years ago because he was out on disability and now
"logging".

-Curt

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:07:48 -0400
From: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Rant question of the day

Some interesting stories on Planet Money last week about welfare and
disability, and how the number of people on SSI has ballooned over the past
10-15 years. Why?  Because the SSA doesn't really challenge applicants,
especially those who hire legal representation to make their claim.  This has
made some law firms literally billions of dollars at our expense.

Add to this that the states like to move people from welfare to disability,
because SSI is a Federal program while welfare is partially funded by the state.

Dan