> Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
>
> A good, well sharpened two man saw with the vertical handles and raker
> teeth can keep up with a gas powered chain saw.

Respectfully - no.

If the logs are laid out, braced above the ground, and the cuts are
just bucking - then a energetic pair could keep up with a slow
chainsaw.

But that's not how I use my chainsaws.  I fell, limb, and buck.  I have
a medium large saw with an aggressive chain for the big cuts.  It
likely cuts a bit faster than a two-man crosscut when bucking with the
log in an ideal setup.  And it's way faster than a crosscut for felling
and less than ideal bucking. The little chainsaw is used for limbing and
smalling bucking.  No saw or axe can compete for speed.

The chainsaw also requires a lot less effort.  So I can cut more
wood in a given amount of time, and cut more wood before I tire.  More
wood is good.

Sharpening a crosscut saw is not trivial.  To do it right requires a
more tools and a lot more skill than sharpening a chain.  With either,
touching the ground with the teeth is bad.  But a chain can be field
sharpened - or replaced.  Trying to field sharpen a crosscut is
generally a waste of effort and metal.

Now, I like my crosscut saw, and I plan to keep it.  But there is a
reason the professional timber folks don't use crosscut saws except
where the government forbids the use of a chainsaw.

--    Philip