My experience with a nice wood fireplace is that you lose more heat than you gain. We had one to start in our house and it was sort of nice to have a crackling fire with a bit of the smell of woodsmoke but we quickly realized we could not use it in really cold weather (when we most likely would have) because it sucked all of the heat out of the rest of the house. It was warm by the fire but not anywhere else. It made our furnace and hot water tank chimney back draft and that smelled awful in addition to being unhealthy and unsafe. We could only use the fireplace with the windows on either side of it open and that caused a cold draft that was not pleasant to sit in. So, after a while, we put in a gas insert. It looks nice and it is fast and easy but it is not the same so basically we don't use it. If it wouldn't be such a big mess, I would remove the whole thing. It's primary purpose now is to hold the mantle clock and the stockings at Christmas.

Randy