Froggy is not behaving.  But, then again, since when has she?

When I got the car, the tach would swing about wildly in no relation to the
engine speed.  It would then either pet out or not move at all.  Smack the tach
face and it might respond.  I knew it was either the amp or the gauge, so
sourced a fresher gauge.  This new one does sort of respond, but not really.
It will register only between 1k and 2k rpm, but does move smoothly between
them in relation to engine speed.

I have poked around the interwebs for a clue as to where the sensor/amp lives.
I am finding much about OM617 cars and diesel, but not anything related to a
1974 SL.  Does this thing live on the engine or the transmission?  And where
should I be looking for the critter?

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers