I took the old battery out of the boy's (to be the girl's) SD and took it to Interstate to swap it, as it was getting a bit weak and not holding a charge. It was an "85" and turned out to be from June 2007 (71 months). So I ask the guy there if that meant I got some credit on a new one. He goes off to check some mysterious book and a couple minutes later comes back and says a swap with the credit will be $158.something but a new one will be $154.something. I took a few seconds to process that, and asked him why with a credit will be more than buying it outright, and he proceeds to explain to me that the credit price is more than the new price because when that battery was new it was more than the new one, and the credit on it made it more than a new one now. Huh, WTF??? So I asked him to explain that again, and he goes through the same thing, but this time less comprehensible. He apparently, perfectly understood the rationale for this apparent contradiction but was not able to explain it to such a simpleton as me.

So the battery is sitting there on the counter, he had gone to get it when I said I needed a swap, so I asked him if that same battery, that one right there, had 2 different prices depending on whether I had one to swap for it, then he tells me that he is giving me $10 off the new price so that is why it is less than the swap price. So I say, OK let's say that battery right there is new, and I will pay the new price for it. He says OK and proceeds to write it up, which for more reasons unclear, took like 5 minutes and involved 3 different machines in different places at the counter.

I am plagued by idiots... or maybe I am an idiot and just do not fit into the world well.

--R