Curt wrote:
> ...coating on the seeds that only gets broken down when heated by fire...
>
> I agree that many of the forestry policies in practice now are dumb but I
> don't think fire is always a bad thing.

When my son and I drove our '83 240D home from LA we took US20 all the
way home from its terminus at Newport, OR to Elgin, IL.  Through
forest portions of OR they had signs explaining different practices
about forest fires, i.e. letting fires burn.  Let the low growth
tinder burn and the forest keeps well and away from the top fires that
spread and annihilate the forest.  It was an interesting display.
mao