> Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Right now if I pump the brakes they'll build pressure and work fine
> until I release and try again at which point they're back to bottom
> of the throw. The fronts still work fine but the pedal is bottom of
> the barrel.
>
> I *think* this means the MC needs replacing, what say you?

If it were a damaged master cylinder (MC) seals, then it would not
_hold_ pressure.  If pumping the pedal will build pressure, and the
pedal does not sink, then the master cylinder is likely okay.

Once there is pressure, does it feel "soft"?  Soft pedal is a clear
indication of air in the lines.

When you "release and try again", is that with the car driving down the
road, or when sitting in the driveway?  If the pedal is firm, but too
low, then also check for something pushing the pads too far from the
rotor surface.  Drum brakes, which use a spring to return, a low pedal
or pumping is an indication of brake mis-adjustment.  Since disk brakes
use the rotor movement rather than a spring for return, a warped rotor,
or one not seated flush on the hub will cause similar symptoms.

--   Philip, who has one car in the fleet with 4 wheel drum brakes.