This is about moisture condensing on the outside of the glass, due to
cold air from AC coming up through the defrost vents.

This is why I feel manual controls are best for auto HVAC systems.  The
"brain" isn't always going to do what's needed (though they *are* nice
when everything works).

I get this scenario a lot on humid evenings.  You want the AC on to kill
the humidity, but you don't really need the cooling otherwise.  With
manual controls you can open the heater core valve somewhat to get the
dehumidification without cooling so much that you start getting
condensation on the outside of the windows.

Allan

Hendrik and Fay <heni...@gmail.com> writes:

> Stop breathing.
> Seriously, the A/C should remove moisture from the air, not sure about
> US models but we have the defrost button, which even Fay has worked out
> how to use.
> And seriously, don't tell Fay I said that, please.
>
> Hendrik
> who can be seriously serious
>
> On 26/06/13 10:55, Larry T wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>>     With the hot & humid days with us again in Va.,  we are seeing
>> condensation forming on the lower outside of the windshield - just in
>> the sight line.   we end up wiping the glass over and over with the
>> wipers just to be able to see.   I worry that the wiper rubber might
>> not be made for this abuse on a mostly dry glass.   I have rainX on
>> the exterior and put rainX concentrate in the wiper fluid.   The cold
>> ac air seems to be the culprit.   But there's no way to prevent it
>> that I can see.   There's no setting that doesn't put at least a
>> little air on the vents at the base of the glass....
>>
>> Am I doing all I can do?    BTW, I was hoping to find something that
>> prevents the formation of condensation but so far no luck.
>>
>> Comments?   It looks like this is the way things will be ...
>>
>> thanks,
>> LarryT
>> 91 MB 300D

Allan Streib