Warm/soften the grommets/bushings in hot water.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Our 1980 300SD??S

It's been a long time since I did one of these but there is a flat metal
lever (with a hole) at the bottom of the shifter and a similar lever on the
transmission.  Each of these holes has a nylon grommet to prevent "buzz"
between the levers and the round-ended shaft that connects the two levers.
Also, there is a metal clip on each end of those round shaft ends to hold
the shaft in the grommets. If the grommets are worn or missing that allows
a lot of free play between the shifter and the transmission and that can
effect shifting as well as the neutral safety switch (which is located on
the transmission on the same shaft as the above-mentioned lever.

I would order a pair and a spare of both the nylon grommets and the metal
clips before starting the job of replacing the nylon grommets. I have done
it with the car (82 300SD and 79 TD) on jack stands but it wasn't fun.  I
did not have a special tool. I seem to recall warming the grommets to make them more pliable. I also recall losing a spring clip (or two) when it shot
off into "who knows where."

Also, the shifter moves forward and aft on a shaft supported bu nylon
bushings on each end and sometimes these wear out.  These can be replaced
from above but you have to remove the center console first.  If you
disassemble the shifter from above, you can pull put the shifter and replace
that grommet from above too.

Thank You!! For all the ideas and replies!! No I did not see any of the
replies until I had done a re post of the original message. Just thought
I had sent the first off into cyber space for whomever and wherever it
might land. After waiting several days and watching the posts several
times each day I just thought it hadn't made the right bus. You've all
given a lot of good advise, and as soon as it cools down a bit here,
we'll go to work on it. I'll report on what we find later on---- Something I read sometime ago led us to believe we should order a
bushing because of the starting trouble. Then all the mess with "Trent"
evolved and I didn't go ahead with order. Probably will get one on hand
though. Looks to be a cheap investment and is probably worn anyway if
not the major culprit! Thanks again, nobody knows a benz as well as benz
lovers! Chris