I enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing! :-)

On 7/4/2013 2:45 PM, Rich Thomas wrote:
That reminds me that along about that time, say 1961 or 1962, I attended
a really old school that was down the street from Mike's Minuteman Car
Wash.  My dad would take the car over there occasionally, and they did
all that stuff, especially the floor mats, which trundled along on a
conveyor belt and met the car at the end where they were put back in the
car.  I thought that part was really cool.

There was a large contingent of workers, all black men.  They worked
hard and tended to stay around a long time, and apparently were paid
well enough for the times.  Starting school in 2nd grade, this little
white boy sat next to a little black boy named Cleo.  Cleo and I got
along pretty well and one day he told me his dad worked at that car
wash.  That was just about the most awesome thing I could think of.  My
dad was an engineer for a local electronics company, which I guess was a
pretty good job, but did not come anywhere close to working at the car
wash!

I came home that afternoon and was going on and on about how wonderful
it was that Cleo's dad worked at that car wash.  Next time we went I
said I wanted to find out which one was Cleo's dad but my dad would not
let me go bother them.  Never did find out but I told Cleo I went there
and tried to find his dad, Cleo thought that was pretty cool.  He told
his dad, who thought that was pretty cool too.

--R

--
Chris J.
MBCA Peachtree section