Not necessarily. Somewhere, I have a book on Turbocharging and one of the examples they used was a 240D. They installed an aftermarket kit and noted that it made the engine run cleaner and use less fuel. My recollection is that they ran it a fair number of miles and reported that it was a successful addition to the car. I suspect that the factory version might be better in many ways but that does not mean that the installation done after the fact cannot be done successfully. One will not get 200HP out of an engine like that but if one is conservative, it will still improve the engine without destroying it in short order.

If anyone is interested, I will dig the book out and quote from it.

Randy