So if battery was bad then why wouldn't it even crank with battery charger set 225A start mode. Why did it initially crank with battery charger and now not?

Somebody once told me that it takes more like 1000A to crank one
of these diesels over, if it's on the cold side.

-- Jim

When I worked at the univ, the campus cops used to provide a free jump. Well one very cold day the 240D would not crank fast enough. So the cop get out of the car with one of those flashlight battery car starter things. I told him that won't work, you need real jumper cables. He insisted it would work. So I said ok and he hooked it up. It didn't work and made no difference. I was kind of disappointed that it didn't melt into a blob.

To Jim's point, a bad battery in a diesel will generally not start on jumper cables unless they are 00 to 0000 cable. I have never had one start on a charger, unless the charger was left on long enough to charge the battery.

Moral of the story: Put a new battery in you Diesel ever few years. take the old one and put it in the 107 SL or some other gasser where it can live out its old age.