En route to my assignment in Greenland in Feb '78, stopped by Colorado Springs to meet The General, have several days of briefings, etc. - no bag arrived with me; went through meeting with General, etc., in casual "civvies." General knew immediately what had happened; didn't seem to care; we got along great, anyway, as we should have. First thing he said as I walked into his office, "Aha, airline got to ya, huh?" Bag with uniforms arrived that evening. Always after that, I wore uniform on trips back and forth to Greenland.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cause of Frisco crash: Poor piloting plus no glide path?

That happened to me when I went to Japan. Our plane in Boston got taken out of service, they put us on a little puddle jumper to JFK to catch a flight, I could see my bags sitting on a cart on the ramp, it was starting to snow/rain. I told various airline people and the PJ pilot that my bags were right over there (pointing them out on the baggage cart getting soaked) and they kept saying, "We'll get them there." Yeah right. Get to Narita, no bags. The NWA Japanese kid there who was dealing with issues was just about to have a stroke apologizing and trying to figure it out. I had silver or gold status on the airline, he was very very helpful, took all my info for the hotel, etc. He found them, said they would be there on the same flight that day (which was getting in tomorrow evening , sunday).

So here I am in Tokyo, 6'4" tall, wondering where the hell I am going to find some business clothes on a Sunday for my Monday business meetings. Did not think jeans and a ratty travel shirt would work. I get a call the next evening at the hotel, it is this kid, saying the bags would be there in a hour or so by courier. The bags get there at like 9PM, everything is totally soaked, suits, shirts, underwear, socks, everything. ohsht. So I call the front desk, the guy there knew about the bags, was again apologetic, I tell him I need to get this stuff cleaned before the morning, he says no problem. He comes up, bowing like crazy, says he will take care of it, will be there by 6AM next morning, Monday.

I did not sleep much all night since it was daytime for me, but shonuff, 6AM the same kid from the night before shows up with all my stuff, cleaned, pressed, folded, hung, all that, no charge. Some white shirts stained, he said he would try to find some for me, airline would buy them. He would not take a tip, was apologetic the whole time about the airline screwing up (like that was his issue). I ended up getting some money from the airline, the kid from Narita called me again to make sure everything got sorted out.

I was amazed at all this. And that there were beer vending machines on like every corner in Tokyo. Then I got back home to Boston where no one gave a s... about anything, much less your concerns over their poor service.

--R