If you put a load tester on the old battery, I'm betting it will show it is
no longer capable of holding full charge when under load.  Max AC puts load
on battery, battery discharge rate is greater than it's now able to intake
and hold charge, Alt output from regulator increases to try to make up the
shortage = Alt light comes on.

Suggestion: Drop by your local FLAPS and ask them for a charging system
check... most will do it free and are equipped to do so.  Load test
battery, and load test alternator with AC on engine running. [be ready for
a new battery, I'm betting].

Good luck,
Grant...