Mission accomplished, a remarkably bright (for an Autozone employee) Autozone employee hooked me up with an H8 gold top Duralast ($5 more than the red top and 1000cca instead of 900). The H8 apparently replaces the group 49 and it even says so on the battery itself.
Fit perfectly, does the job, no more alternator light...

-Curt

Mine sez 49H8 I have no idea what the H8 means, but the 49 indicates that it is indeed a group 49. there is another group 90-something (93?) that has the same outside dimensions. My question to them is IF they are the same size, why a different group number? Nobody could answer that for me.

I have one of them in the cheaper line also.