Read that thing I posted about the flight instructor's experience in Korea, and the more general statement that thousands of hours of "flight" time might be a small fraction of actual "flying" time. Not that sitting with your hand on the stick for 12 hours across the ocean would be a great bit of "flying" experience, but once you start the descent and approach having your hands on the throttle and stick is "flying," not turning knobs on the autopilot from 300ft at takeoff until it actually hits ground again (one hopes, on a runway pointed in the right direction, wheels down, greasy side down, etc.). You get a feel for where the airplane is, what the engines are doing, what your throttle position is, etc. (that is of course you should also be monitoring your instruments that will tell you where you are and what state the airplane is in).

I really wonder how much actual "flying" time these guys had, either in that airplane or in any airplane.

--R