Well, the kid was complaining of no brakes and car won't shut off. I fire it up and it is making an awful injector nailing noise, but louder. I pull the line off the vacuum pump, and yep, no vacuum. I got it apart today and the yoke that holds the bearing that rides on the eccentric has failed. My question is this. I have heard that the injection timing advance device can fail also. Is there any easy way to tell if it has failed? The springs are intact and nothing is loose.

Rick
Sent from my iPhone
the OM621 book had a section on testing the timer. Pretty much if the timer is intact, it is good. I have never seen one fail in the US. IF they fail, it is probably over 500k miles and/or poor lubrication/never changing oil etc. My 400k to 500k mile 190Dc never had a failure of the IP advance.