On 23/07/2013 10:18 PM, Dieselhead wrote:
Randy Bennell wrote:

My point in posting this, is that last evening I was working on it and wondering how many of you folks have the same issues to deal with vs how many have gone to some more modern low maintenance situation.

I bought a foreclosed house last year. Should have had all those little issues taken care of by last July, but here I am,, still painting, cleaning, laying tile, pulling wires, and this week I'm putting in a central heat pump system. The 3/4 ton ductless mini split I put in last year can keep the house livable, but 1.5 ton central air will keep the whole house comfortable. I've been running into all sorts of little joys on that project, like coming up with a 20 amp HACR double pole circuit breaker for a 35 year old Bryant load center (ended up buying a used one on eBay for a bit more than twice as much as Menards charges for a non-HACR double pole).

Mitch.

My spare time for the last 18 months: saw concrete to make french drains. saw floors to install pipes to connect french drains to sump pump. Dig up around basement, install new drain tile, jack out walls to plumb, install frame inner walls to support masonry walls (now straight). refill excavation with river rock, and top with dirt. Haul off excess dirt, grade lawn. Rewire basement. Drywall basement, paint basement, sand hoak floors in 2 BRs, varnish 2 BR floors, varnish LR floor. Repair/paint walls in large BR. Repair and paint LR. Paint stairwell walls. Saw concrete patio into squares, saw sidewalk into squares. grade between house and garage this supper. cover graded area with concrete squares and 4 raised beds. Pull up and load sidewalk squares. Haul sidewalk debris and unload for ditch fill. shovel sand for fill and grading sidewalk.

Now I am up to forming for sidewalks. Have not had much time for fixin MBs.

Next up is residing carport. then floor for basement, then build new bathroom/shower in basement. Then roofs, etc... It never ends!

How big is the house?
We had to have the north wall of our basement repaired several years back. It developed a horizontal crack that we wished to stabilize. We had it dug out on the outside down to the footings and the inside reinforced with steel angle bolted to the concrete and then the outside filled mostly with river rock etc.
30 foot wall cost about $6K for the repair.

I think I am getting too old and feeble to attack jobs like that by myself.
The fellow who did it worked like a machine. He hand dug the whole thing in no time and kept a second fellow almost running to dump the wheelbarrows full of dirt on the street.

We have a crack in the east wall as well but it does not appear to be any significant issue yet. I am thinking of having the steel installed on it too but not digging it out as it does not leak.

Randy