I certainly understand the risks of paying for a car and not receiving a title,
but geeking out here... in doing research it seems there are cases when this
can work out.

>From what I can tell, in Illinois, if a title is lost, and a duplicate title
>can't be furnished (for whatever reason) it's possible to obtain a title and
>register a vehicle... so long as

1.) the car does not show up hot
2.) there are no liens
3.) you have a bill of sale
4.) you have a written appraisal of the wholesale value by a licensed dealer
5.) you obtain a surety bond for 1-1/2 times the appraised value
6.) you have the patience to wait 6-12 weeks for the process with the state to
start and end.

Anyone here ever go through this entirely? Seems like there are an absurd
number of cars floating in la la land ...

Darren Marshall
http://doejo.com
http://bowtruss.com