For older cars that have not been registered in several years many states
purge the records after so many years.  In other words, when you go in and
fill out the statement of ownership and a lost title form and they look in
the records the only documentation they have is what you have provided them
so they either ask for vin verification or simply give you the title in
your name.  Here in the Vampire state anyway.

Obviously won't help with this car but maybe some others.

Mike