On 01/08/2013 4:05 PM, Dieselhead wrote:

We made one when we pulled the bolt on the old 4Runner last summer to replace the head gaskets etc. Basically a steel plate with a hole in the middle to put the socket on the rattle gun through and smaller holes to bolt to the dampener in the spots intended for the bolts that hold the pulley onto the dampener and a steel bar arm that is long enough to sit on the frame rail.

You need a big torque wrench for 400 foot pounds. I bought a 3/4 drive wrench that is about 4 feet long.

Randy

400 ft. lb.? Bah! put a long 1/2" breaker bar on it and tighten it snug. I never had one come out in 40 years of working on MB diesels. (not that it couldn't) Put 80 on it and it will stay put.

400 ft lb likely WILL pop the bolt or cause a fracture that leads to this kind of failure.

Hey come on --- this is an excuse to buy another toy. Tell the wife you need it and cannot fix the car without etc.

I have no idea what the recommended torque value is. I was just commenting on the ealier post that suggested 400 ft #.

Randy