http://my.opera.com/gfior/albums/show.dml?id=14664462

Dieselhead wrote:

<<Crankshaft bolt.  Holds the vibration damper on the crankshaft.>>

I was thinking (but hoping not) that would not only be the only fastener as
large as that, but that would also account for the poor cooling.  It sounds
like it might be a PITA to change out.  Anyone BTDT?  Tips and tricks?  Pull
radiator first?  Replace with even higher grade bolt (if available)?

Greg

yep, I had one snap off. I was able to stick a small screwdriver in and turn the stub out. If there is not enough of a burr on the stub, then you have to take out the radiator for sure. You didn't say if you lost coolant because the radiator stopped cooling (no fan) or or if you lost coolant because the bolt went through the radiator or a hose.

When it happened to my car, the whole damper pulley assembly was hanging on the belts. SWMBO was smart enough to pull off, and then got a tow to a gas station off the interstate. I fixed it in one trip and maybe an hour or so laying on the ground, then SWMBO drove off to finish the trip.

If you can't turn out the stub, then you probably need a right angle drill and a left hand drill bit and maybe an easy out.

I'd think a 1/4" or 5/16" left hand drill would be big enough to turn the stub out. You cant get in there with a regular elect. drill (reversible) even with the radiator out.