It was Mercedes metal, much stronger than anything else. Was overcoming the saws, they could not get into the car to get the driver out. They said so in the vid.

It was a milagro!

--R

I sure was impressed with the metallurgy in the BMW motorsickle frames 40 years ago! Very thinwall, aircraft quality or higher tubing used to make the frames and centerstands on the /5 motorrads. I found out when mine became abruptly airborne with such force that it locked the centerstand down, and when I regained earthliness, the centerstand was crushed. Postmortem on the centerstand let me see the mettle of the metal. ~1" dia and <1/16" wall thickness. More like .040 if my memory serves. Light but strong. The R75/5 was a very light 750 when it first came out. Reg Pridmore had a pretty good racing career on pretty stock R75s competing with the Hardly Davis 750 racers.

BMW and Mercedes made in Germany used to have the best metallurgy around. Don't know if that is still the case. I am sure its not, for products made outside der fatherland.