When I left the automotive industry in 2005, we were a second tier producer for
VW, GM, and Ford.

In a nutshell, VW had a QC manager assigned to our plant.  We all knew his
name, he walked at free will anywhere in the plant he wished ( maybe personnel
was off limits, don't know ), and was present in any meetings that had to do
with VW.  I knew who the Ford guy was by facial recognition, because he was
there about once a quarter.  I never saw a GM quality representative in the
plant in my employment time.

We didn't do any Chrysler business, that was all in another plant.  They had
fair coverage from customer QC.

The obvious point is that GM didn't worry about quality as much as VW.

I'm not interested in buying VW anytime in this pass thru, but I will buy Ford
if the deal is right.  I'm OK with Chrysler, my wife drives one.  I will never,
under any circumstances, buy another GM vehicle in my lifetime.  There are
other reasons, but the above facts sealed the deal.  I cannot afford a new
Mercedes, and I normally buy new.  So my next vehicle will be either Toyota or
Honda.  I still don't believe the USA has it right, and as long as labor unions
control the auto industry I don't think it will get any better.

Richard