I agree, the one I rented recently was a nice ride. I wish I knew which engine
it had, I'm guessing v6. I just checked Chevy's website and it turns out thats
a 4.3l. I'm actually pretty impressed with it for such a large vehicle. Pulling
a 240D on a trailer (not a tow dolly) isn't a minor job. If I were going to
have one I'd think hard about the v8.
Fueleconomy.gov says the v6 in a 4wd will do 19mpg combined, the v8 18mpg.
Thats pretty dammed impressive in a full size truck. My 2003 Ranger is rated
for 15 (!) combined, we usually average around 19 on long highway trips, I bet
that Silverado will push 25 if you keep your foot out of it.

Ford doesn't have 2014 F150 data up yet but the 2013 3.5l turbo v6 only does
17mpg combined.

GM claims 285hp 305 lb/ft of torque out of the 4.3 but it must be up very high
in the power band. I kept it in 3rd gear climbing hills on the highway at
60mph, its got very long legs which I find kind of silly in a 6spd.

Ford claims 365/420 out of the 3.5l eco-boost which I think is absurd. Both GM
and Ford must be quoting crank power to begin with and its got to be up in the
stratosphere for revs. Ford also says 16/22mpg, same as the GM v8.

Tossing Dodge into the mix you have to go back to 2012 to get numbers on
fueleconomy.gov 14/19 isn't a big loss from the others considering we're
talking a v8, 290hp and 320lb/ft.

I'd have to drive them all to decide but on paper I'd have the Silverado.

The only complaint I have, and this is a complaint about all new cars in
general is the feeling of being divorced from the road. For normal highway
driving this is no big problem, but as soon as you go offroad and need to
decide how much power is too much power or is this water hole too deep or is
there too much mud here you have no confidence because you can't feel anything.
My dad has a Jeep Liberty thats like that. One of my favorite thing about the
Ranger as a woods truck is the wealth of good feedback it gives you.

-Curt