Curt noted:

"know 2 people with relatively recent Jettas both are still being paid for, neither has working airconditioning. Both owners agree getting the A/C fixed is not worth the hassle the dealer would put them through so they do without.
 These are cars under warrenty..."

My 2001 Beetle TDI has been completely trouble free. My oldest girl-child has it in CA. She has put 58K miles on it since it's been new. She gets about 45 mph driving like a girl around L.A. All total, I've had a headlight bulb (a gawd awful job) replaced and a backseat head rest replaced. That's it. When I get it back in a week or so (when she goes off to the UK for four months) I'm going to get the timing belt done, in accordance with VWs schedule.

Bob Rentfro
'77 300D 146K
Litchfield Park, AZ