So the daughter unit took the car back to the shop that had the
regulator replaced maybe 3 weeks ago, symptoms the same -- batttery
dying, not charging.

Mech sends it back to the alt shop, tells them to figure it out. They
narrow it down to a "red wire from the fuse box" that was drawing
current.  (Did not say whether with car running or not)

Mech pokes around and finally determines the glow plug relay is not
shutting off properly, during his testing was staying on for 3-4min and
drawing current, keeping voltage the alt/batt system low. Replaces GPR
and says that fixes it.  He speculates it was not shutting off other
times, continuing to draw down battery after car was shut off (I'm not
sure if that is possible) or sucking enough juice the battery was not
charging.

I put a new GPR in the car in March 2010, got it from Rusty $130. Not
sure what kind, but it had a Benz part number.  Mech says he put one in
that he was able to get for $254, an HUC which is probably chinee (and
maybe the other one was too).  JABBA -- WHAT IS THAT BRAND?

I told him when the shop replaced the regulator pack on the alt that
obviously did not fix the problem, so that was a wasted $250 or so.
Total for this latest adventure is $453.40.  So now $700 into this
problem.  He just rang me and knocked $75 off, understood that the alt
shop was a waste but that is now sunk cost.

BAH.  I hate not being able to work on my cars!

--R