BTW, does MB mention anything about re-torquing the head bolts on those engines? They may call for re-torquing after a rebuild i.e. a valve job etc. , and putting 100 miles or so on them, but for a original engine i haven't seen anything suggesting such.

Just wondering why head gaskets lets go after many miles of service... I know, stuff happens) ;-)

Larry

On 7/15/2013 12:16 PM, WILTON wrote:
Yep; thanks.

I suspect it started few weeks ago when the 2½-year old lower rad hose blew, though I did not notice the temp going to redline. Temp was headed up fast when I shut it down.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris James" <c_ja...@gmx.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 91 350SDL bad news

And just when you got it on the road again!!!
Sorry!

:-(

On 7/15/2013 11:30 AM, WILTON wrote:
'Been having to add a bit of water in 350SDL cooling system for
several weeks,  though car hasn't been driven much.  I fill it, go
for short drive and coolant level would be down about an inch in
overflow tank.  No leak evident. 'Been checking oil level, too,
which has been holding at about mid point on stick.  Took it out for
short drive coupla days ago.  Coolant level light came on immediately
as I backed out of its parking space.  Checked coolant level upon
return; overflow tank empty!  No leak evident!  Just went to car and
checked oil level - up to middle of upper red tab on the stick!!!  I
think I found the missing coolant!!!!!!!

Wilton

--
Chris J.
MBCA Peachtree section