On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:00:41 -0500 "Kaleb C. Striplin"
<ka...@striplin.net> wrote:

> So does it run faster, slower, or the same as cat5?

"Ordinary" Cat-5 runs 100 megabits/second (Mbps -- note bits not bytes).
Most of the ones listed on Newegg say 200 Mbps; some say 500 Mbps.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:17:57 -0500 "Kaleb C. Striplin"
<ka...@striplin.net> wrote:

> So on this discussion of this power line home ethernet deal, what
> I am wanting to do is have a line from my upstairs office down to
> the main TV area in the living room and have a router there to
> then connect the TV, sat box, and DVD to it, in addition to having
> a wifi access point there.  So does anybody know if this power
> line thing can serve the purpose of connecting the router upstairs
> to the router downstairs?  So in other words multiple devices
> would be coming thru that line.  Or is it strictly for extending
> the network so 1 computer.

Anything you can stuff onto one Cat-5 cable you can put onto a
ethernet-over-powerline adapter. The individual devices put their traffic
on the cable simultaneously with different addresses; they don't care
what the transmission medium is.

So, yes, you can do what you want.

Craig