While finally getting to my front brake job, I encountered a failing drivers
side wheel bearing. There was discoloration and shallow pitting on the outboard
race. BTW, how much longer would this bearing take to actually fail?
Needing the car back on the road I went to my local autozone and picked up a
set of timken front bearings, inboard and outboard. I paid $30 for the pair. I
happily took them back home only to discover that the outboard bearing was too
small!
I then traveled to my local MB dealership and picked up a front bearing kit. I
bargained them down by 20% and paid $117 for the kit from their full retail of
$147. I still overpaid but as I said I can't continue to have this car off the
road!
The outboard bearing was made in Germany, but sadly the inboard was made in
Japan. Also with the kit came a new grease seal, grease cap, radio interference
spring ( I needed one anyway) and spindle nut locking bolt.

Sent from my iPhone