> Next, is 20k people really a small town these days?  I am pretty sure we
> are still under 5k by a long shot downtown Watkins Glen.  My home town,
> Burdett, heck, maybe 1k people tops.  We all leave the keys in cars around
> here at home.  The door on my house has not been locked in 20 years.
>
> I am so glad to live in a REAL small town.

At least one of my small town high school teachers didn't believe in
locked doors. With the number of kids visiting his house over the years,
hundreds of people must have known it. Yet no home invasions ever, AFAIK.
He left the garage wide open, with a message board on the door from the
garage to the house, so I never saw a reason to go in if nobody was home.
He didn't leave keys in cars though.
I never lock my cars, unless I park at Walmart or go to the city, but I
pocket the key.

Mitch.