On Sep 5, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "clay" <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Should I use the diesel weight in the 450SL?  The thicker stuff seems to work
> well in the old engine

Oil for gasoline engines in recent years has been formulated with less and less
ZDDP or zinc and phosphorus. This is due to governmental mandates calling for
emissions systems to last a minimum 100k miles. Oil formulated for diesels,
motorcycles, and off road (racing) vehicles has way more of these compounds.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

So, yes diesel oil, or the 15w50 would make a fine
lubricant for your older MB. It is probably best to
follow the manufacturers instructions regarding oil
viscosity and type however. They can be found
here.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?entercustomer=true&language_id=1

More information than anyone right in the head
would ever need or want about what fluids to use
in your Mercedes Benz Motor Car.

Rick
Sent from my iPhone