Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 13:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
To: Diesel List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Jetta TDI

If
 I had a 2004 or later I'd agree with you but I don't, its a '98, AHU
engine, 505.00 which apparently M1 5w40 still doesn't meet although its
CI-4 Plus and ACEA E7/E5...

A little googling shows an
interesting disagreement around the interwebs. Apparently although M1
5w40 doesn't meet 505.1 it might just be a failure of anybody to
actually test it against 505.1. It seems some enthusiasts don't trust
5w30 to protect the cam and are using 5w40 because of its higher sheer
strength. It'd be interesting to know why the 5w40 isn't 505.1

Any 505.1 5w40 oils are EXPENSIVE, like $10/qt...

-Curt