My '87 300D is more of a pleasure to drive with the cruise control working
again.
R & R the under dash cover is far from any pleasure, though.  Hafta get the
cover screws/bolts by feel and mirror and then control tremor enough to get
screwdriver or wrench on 'em.
'Was quite puzzled when first I looked way forward and just above the brake
pedal for the cruise control amplifier and found nothing there where I thought
it was supposed to be.  'Sat up in the seat for coupla minutes with engine and
AC on talking to myself, "Where can it be?  Where can it be?  It's supposed to
be under there."  Suddenly I looked down from driver's position and saw the
backside of the unit up high and directly underneath instrument cluster area
and immediately left of the steering column.  'Easily accessible from driver's
seat with ICE COLD air blowing in my face.

Wilton