I actually sang the bass part of the Coffee Cantata in a choir (college choir
IIRC) a long time back.  Gotta love Bach!

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 10:38 AM
To: mercedes
Subject: [MBZ] OT: For coffee lovers

I recently ran across this:

     Johann Sebastian Bach loved coffee; he considered it one of the great
     joys of his busy and active life. When Bach died, his personal
     possessions included at least two coffee pots, one of silver and
     another of brass, as well as several coffee services. Bach frequented
     the coffee houses in Leipzig and, on occasion, wrote a “secular”
     cantata for the enjoyment of his friends. The cantata was a brief
     oratorio for, usually, four voices. Bach wrote scores of these for
     use in the morning services at his church –- perhaps the best known
     is his expansion of Luther’s, “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” -– but
     he also penned a fair number of cantatas that had no overtly
     spiritual purpose.

     One of the most delightful of these is the “Coffee Cantata”, a
     little drama relating a dispute between a father and his daughter,
     who loved coffee. Her father insisted that she stop drinking coffee
     and get married. The wily waif went out and brought back for her
     father the village idiot, professing her love and intending to marry
     him. Astonished, the father rejected her plans (just as she knew he
     would) and insisted that he would find her a proper husband. Great!
     She agreed to his proposal on one condition: the husband he secured
     for her had to allow her to drink coffee. You can guess who got her
     way in the end.

He also wrote a cantata about drinking. I recall, while in the Caltech Glee
Club, of closing one performance with,

Tenor: And now I think we've had enough; 'tis thirsty work this singing!

Baritone: Quite true; 'tis time to be gone!

Chorus: And now to town we go
          to spend an hour or so
        in drinking.

Craig