I have a 2008 Outback and twice recently I needed to reboot it.  The first
time the radio controls wouldn't work and several of the radio head/ACC
indicators were dead.  After a brief stop to look for a problem, I restarted
the car and everything worked again.  Today, all ACC indications were good
but the AC wasn't running.  I pulled into a parking lot, shut off the car
and restarted it; all was good again.  Mercedes content: my 82 300SD would
never pull this nonsense.  When it quits, a simple reboot doesn't help.