As I understand it they can leak or the plastic plugs in the plastic OE ones
can pop out, causing oi pressure to drop.  They may or may not cause the
lifters to make noise depending on how bad/many of them are leaking.  MB
changed the design to prevent this from happening, as I understand it.  At
least they made metal versions of the tubes in later production models.

It's one of those "not if but when" sort of things.

A pretty easy job form the looks of things.

Dan