On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 20:28:17 -0700 Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2013 8:16 PM, "Craig" <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:
> >
> > They have indeed suspended shipments of TRU (transuranic, meaning
> > elements heavier than uranium) waste from TA-54 to the WIPP (Waste
> > Isolation Pilot Project at Carlsbad, NM) because of the shutdown. I
> > don't recall exactly what the level of wastes -- high or low -- being
> > shipped to WIPP is.
>
> Interesting!  The last thing I heard about WIPP was in reference to the
> interesting research commissioned into how to mark the site so that
> future humans N million years hence would be warned away from digging
> there.  I had no idea the site had actually been built.

The Waste Isolation Pilot Project in Carlsbad is not the waste storage
facility in Nevada, which is probably what you are thinking of. That
site, I'm sure was intended to store high-level wastes (the really hot
stuff left over from refueling an atomic fission power plant, for
example).

Craig