'Bought a rental house middle of June, 1980; a master sergeant retiring from
Air Force moved out of base housing into the house July 4th weekend, 1980;
moved out 'bout 3 months ago.  'Started painting interior of the rental house
today.

For more than 60 years that I have been involved with houses in some manner -
designing, building, restoring, repairing, inspecting, owning, buying, selling,
renting (for myself and to others) - I have been lucky enough not to hafta
paint a ceiling with the sprayed-on textured crap.  I have never used it in any
house I built, and have not had to deal with it until today.  Interior of the
rental house is badly stained with nicotine - all the ceilings are stained
tan/beige - need to paint 'em.  'Started painting a ceiling with a roller this
afternoon.  Immediately as I came back with some overlap across the
just-painted area laid down with the first stroke, texture on the ceiling in
the just-painted area stuck to the roller in big flakes and sheets 2 to 3
inches square.  The wet paint causes it to easily come off if you touch it
again while it's wet.

Any of y'all painted one of these crappy ceilings?  Am I gonna hafta spray it
with water and scrape it off with a putty knife?  How 'bout spray painting it?
If spray-painted, will it get heavy enough before it dries that it'll fall off.

Wilton