On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:04:07 -0400 "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> For more than 60 years that I have been involved with houses in some
> manner - designing, building, restoring, repairing, inspecting, owning,
> buying, selling, renting (for myself and to others) - I have been lucky
> enough not to hafta paint a ceiling with the sprayed-on textured crap.
> I have never used it in any house I built, and have not had to deal
> with it until today.

Depending upon the stuff involved, you might want to get it tested for
asbestos. Some of the acoustical ceiling spray had lots of asbestos in
it.

If it doesn't contain asbestos, I would take it off. If it does contain
asbestos, I would still take it off, but only with the proper setup and
protective gear (like we did in our kitchen here in New Mexico).

Starting with a clean slate (or ceiling) sounds like the best idea.

Craig