Yup, I bought my Vanagon on ebay, and sent a $400 down payment since I
couldn't make it down there for another month.  I flew down to LA with
the remainder and drove it back without a hitch...still haven't had a
hitch.  It was a great experience and a wonderful seller, with no
regrets.  YMMV

On 1/8/06, kayoooh @ gmail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Listers,
> I am enlisting the help of all of you who bought cars through the web,
> especially eBay.
>
> I am used to buying things on eBay but never a vehicle which is exactly what
> just did when I bought a truck on eBay and it sits over a thousand miles
> away from me.
>
> Hence my question, how should this transaction be finalized, short of me
> traveling there(which is extremely difficult right now)!?
>
> I am hoping those of you who have done it before would give me pointers on
> what to do and what not to do,
> should I use an escrow service? Where can I find a reliable one and are
> there reliable ones to begin with?!
>
> If I opt to ship the truck, are there companies I should avoid and others I
> should go with and who are they?
>
> I followed the link on eBay's web site to the DAS Auto shippers but it is
> not working, at least not for me or the computer I am using right now.
>
> Any bit of advice from you will be highly regarded.

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (211k)
'84 300D (207k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (186K)