Or find someone local to do a walkaround, hand over the payment and take the
title for you.

I planned on doing this with my 300 in Raleigh, but timing didn't work out
for a local friend. I tried to find a local laywer to do this, but none that
I spoke to wanted to do it. Dunno why. Liability?

It made me feel better that the seller had no problem with either of these
issues, and in the end I sent her a check, got the title in return mail,
registered the car in MA, flew down and drove it home.

Next time I *will* withhold payment until I have physically inspected the
car, or at minimum, had someone knowledgeable that I *trust* inspect the
car. Local mechanic that inspected it for me was an idiot. Didn't catch
badly worn tires or warped rotors.

I would have negotiated a couple of other minor issues. And I consider
myself lucky!

Lee