This is true.

I was all Michelin for a long time, and once I had a set on my 82 300SD. I got
some road damage on a trip to Pompano and I couldn't find a Sam's in the area
so I took them to a tire store like Tire Kingdom.

I got a lesson in the off-spec tire market and why they wouldn't honor
warranties on Sam's or Costco's "Michelins".

I put Continentals on it from Tire Kingdom not long after.

Sent from my iPad