On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> I was going to reply, "You mean there is actually country near Portland?",
> but I looked on Google Maps and saw that that is really the case.

Well, the country has to start somewhere, doesn't it?  ;)

Portland's suburbs are tightly constrained by a controversial draconian
anti-sprawl law enacted in the '70s called the Urban Growth Boundary--to
overgeneralize, inside the UGB is all row houses and infill development,
outside is all ranch land, federally protected forest, and wineries.
 Beyond that, Oregon's far less populous than either Washington or
California.  The greater Portland metropolitan area is the only densely
populated area in the state (although Bend in the south-central part of the
state is getting there, thanks to lots of Californian retirees).

Alex