Folks, the function of oil in an engine is twofold: to lubricate, and more importantly to a turboDiesel, to cool the pistons and cylinder walls. Without oil being sprayed on the undersides of pistons, they would probably melt if running under heavy loads. Solid lubricants don't mention how they would solve this cooling problem....
Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig McCluskey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Harry Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Does this mean Mobil 1 will be replaced?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:52:14 -0600 "Harry Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.physorg.com/news8947.html

I wish I was smart enough to understand it all, but I am not.

The article to which you must be referring is at
http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/201204_tech.htm.

The short answer is, "No, Mobil 1 will not be replaced yet."

The long answer: New engines may be able to be manufactured and run such
that they don't use any oil. It depends upon contamination, particularly
with the particulates related to diesel. Older engines will still have to
use oil. It may be that Mobil 1 will have the inorganic Fullerine-like
nanoparticles added to reduce friction. They will be small enough to flow
through filters, unlike the teflon oil additives.

Craig