Ah! I continue to learn. The sharp top cut off is to prevent reflection back at the driver.

Also, what's up with that feature that allows you to just turn on one directional lamp steady (not flashing) - one side at a time. ?

Brian
83 240D

From: David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240 vs SD Go Trucks
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:19:28 -0800

Brian Chase wrote:
> Very cool. I've learned something today. "sharp top cutoff" meaning
> they don't shine up into drivers' eyes, I assume. Wish I had some.

The stock Mercedes fogs, while mounted too high to be truely good fog
lights, do have that sharp cutoff.  It's interesting to look at the
pattern against a wall.  They project a wide, flat "bar" of light.  The
idea is to illuminate the road and the pavement markings directly ahead
of the car, without projecting light upwards that will be scattered by
the fog and reflected back into your eyes.

The yellow color was also once thought to reduce glare scattered by the
fog, but studies since then have found a white light works just as well.