Jim Cathey wrote:
Ah! I continue to learn. The sharp top cut off is to prevent reflection back at the driver.

It also prevents glaring into the eyes of oncoming drivers.  Of which
most fog lights (mandatorily lit?) on newer cars are very guilty of.
I don't think they have upwards cutoffs.

I'd say if they don't have upward cutoffs, they're not really fog lights. "Driving lights" or "auxiliary low beams," maybe. Often the goal of factory lights like that is to fill in that dark hole the standard DOT pattern leaves just in front of the bumper.